Wednesday 31 May 2017

Week 1!!!! May 30, 2017

Hello everyone! I hope all of you are doing fantastic!
This week has been the longest week of my life, and it hasn't even been a week yet! That being said, I AM SO HAPPY. I was feeling very nervous and sick as Aunt Alice was driving me to the MTC, but as soon as I saw all of the smiling missionaries waving at me, all of that anxiety went away, and I felt at home. There have been some things that take getting used to, but I am adjusting very well. I was so excited to get my name tag. My companion is Sister Bingham from Layton UT and I love her! She is awesome and very hard working and obedient and patient with me. We get along very well! I walked into the class the first day, and of course all the teacher spoke was Thai! He is very patient and helps us understand, but speaks Thai the whole time! I have a HUGE district. 5 elders and 8 sisters all going to the same mission. In our zone we have missionaries going to cambodia and 2 vietnam elders, and one elder going to thailand in a few weeks, and another elder going to CA speaking some asian language that I can’t remember what it's called, but I think its so cool all of the different asian languages that we're all learning! It's truly a miracle how much Thai I have learned these past few days. Phraaphoopencaw son ben dii (There are a few tones and accents and interesting letters missing because of this limited key board I have to type on) = God is good 

On my second day we had the opportunity of teaching a lesson to an 'investigator' in ALL THAI AND THAT REALLY FREAKED ME OUT but it went well and I could definitely feel the spirit even though we were reading off of our translated lesson in broken Thai. I'm pretty sure I said "Phrayeesukhrid l3? Phraphoopencaw rak khun!" probably 3 times (Jesus and God love you. The 3 and the ? mark are there on purpose, it's part of the romanized alphabet. a ? mark means an abrupt stop, and "c" makes a "j" sound. Confusing, I know. 

It's funny because I keep seeing all of these missionaries, and then I feel my tag and I realize that I'm one of them! It's so crazy to me that I am actually a missionary now! 

The cafeteria food here is fine. for now. 


Sis. B and I went to choir practice and it was amazing!!!! I could feel the power of the spirit very strong as about 400 missionaries sang their hearts out! I loves it! We watched "the character of Christ' by Elder Bednar and it was life changing, and all of us sisters were all feeling so motivated to become better and to turn outward like Jesus Christ, and to forget ourselves. 

My district gets along pretty well, we're always laughing, and sometimes get distracted, but thank goodness sis. B and I like to stay on task, so sometimes we go out to get studying done or to finish preparing a lesson, but other than that my district is pretty good. 

Yesterday was probably my favorite day. We taught our investigator, Teey (the closest way I can spell it, but this keyboard doesn’t have upside down 'e's' or a little accent to put over it, her name is pronounced 'Doy', but not really. Thai has so many sounds that I can't even explain. It's crazy, but I able to pronounce most of the sounds and roll my 'r's pretty well. I personally think that Thai sounds like a combination of Asian and east Indian (punjabi?) but any ways... back to yesterday: We had a very simple lesson plan where we were just going to try to focus on what Teey's questions were and try our very hardest to answer them in our very limited Thai. So we prayed really hard before, and prayed with Teey (we taught her how to pray last lesson) and just tried to rely on the spirit after all we could do. We were able to answer and understand most of her questions, and the entire time I just felt this great love for her (even though she is a returned missionary acting as an investigator and Teey isn’t even her real name!) Then we started talking about Jesus Christ very simply and then we asked her if she wanted to be baptized! she said (in Thai of course) "Yes I want to follow Phrayeesukhrid and be baptized. Will you help me?" Sis B and I were so so so so happy, and we said "Sitdee rak khun l3? prayeesukrid rak khun!" (I love you and Jesus Christ Loves you!) After we left I couldn’t stop smiling and we saw our Thai teacher Br. Tirrell and just said "Baptidsimaa! baptidsimaa!!" We cried a little bit after and said a prayer thanking Phraphoopencaw (God) for that experience. God loves his fake investigators too! That experience was especially amazing for me because that morning I wasn't feeling that well and then I started feeling sad because I missed home and then I wasn't feeling that motivated and had a hard time feeling the spirit. But we came back feeling so happy and everyone in our district were like "HOW DID YOU GET HER TO COMMIT TO BAPTISM?!"  I'm pretty sure my language skills aren't any better, and for the most part it was sister bingham who could understand teey and not me, but knowing the language really well isn’t why we were so happy or why Teey said yes to baptism, it wasn't us at all, it was the spirit. 

I love feeling productive all the time! 
We play beach volleyball for gym time with our zone and it is so fun!
I'm in a room with sis B and sis Roberts and sis Engstrom all from UT. The other room of Sisters has 2 from idaho, one from alaska and a sister from New Zealand - she's super nice. 4 of the elder's in my district are american and one is Fillipino and he is the sweetest missionary ever and is so humble and tries so hard to learn both english and Thai! 
 I'm pretty sure that we get to be hosts for new missionaires tomorrow! that should be awesome, except I don’t know where half of the buildings are... 
For this Sunday Sister Bingham and I were asked to prepare a lesson for district meeting on the Book of Mormon, and then our sister training leaders (2 sisters going to cambodia) asked us to teach in RS too, so we have so many lessons to prepare this week, especially the lessons with Teey. 
I pray for you all and think of you often. Overall, I am very happy. I love Phrayeesukrid and I love the way Thai sounds, even though it's frustrating because chuay and chuay (imagine there are different tones over the 'a') both sound the same but one means to believe and the other means evil. 
Keep praying for me! 
love Sister Peterson












No comments:

Post a Comment

My joy is full

Well, this is it. I can't believe that a year and a half has come and gone. This was such a good week though!!  "F...