Monday 15 January 2018

Saving souls, saving cats

Sweet Sister Mittavong

At some ancient ruins

One day I'll get an elephant ride!
This week has been so crazy! Crazy but good! 
First off, I'm in a new area! I cried leaving Bang Na. The members had a get together dinner at the church the night before transfers. I bawled like a baby! 
Even though I was really sad about leaving, I did feel like it was time for a change. I'm now in a city called Ayutthaya about an hour north of Bangkok. It has a bunch of old Wats and is more laid back than Bangkok. We ride bikes here - which is terrifying trying to ride an old elders bike where the gears make weird clunking sounds, and then riding in a skirt is a whole different story. 

My companion is Sister Mittavong! She's awesome! She is from Laos!! She's been teaching me how to cook and she is already a way good missionary (she's just starting her 2nd transfer). Let's just say that my Laos has improved A LOT! 555 
We were biking down a little street and we passed by an older couple (not of our faith) we ended up talking to them and they were curious about us and then they tried explaining what they believe in the bible (they were German so it was interesting because they were speaking a mix of English and Thai (both with German accents) they acted weirded out when we told them what we believe about God and the plan of salvation -even though what they were trying to explain was way weirder and I didn't know how it had relevance to me. I was talking to the older man, and the older woman was speaking in Thai to Sister Mittavong. He asked about the Book of Mormon and I tried explaining it in a simple way. It was hard in English with someone who already has a Christian background. The only thing that I felt I could say clearly was "I know  that the Book of Mormon is the word of God." Nothing else I had said before got to him until I said that. When I said that, I meant it, and I felt power backing me up and he couldn't say anything back to that. Sister Mittavong was able to tell the lady that she likes the Book of Mormon better than the bible because it contains the fullness of Christ's gospel. Atta girl! So proud! 

The HIGHLIGHT OF MY WEEK WAS... When we were returning from trying to find an investigator, there was a little girl and a lady pointing to a cat on the roof of an old shed thing. We parked our bikes and tried to call to it, poke it with sticks, until something came over me. I found myself climbing up this rusty old gate and then pulling myself up on a concrete wall thing (which is so not like me because I don't like climbing up on things like trees or high things) I grabbed the cat, but then it tried to go escape on the nearby tree. I had to pry this cat’s claws off of the tree, with one foot on the concrete wall and the other on a sketchy wooden beam. Eventually I saved the cat!!! I didn't even get scratched! I had apparently attracted quite a group of spectators too! Then a bunch of people helped me down, we told them we were missionaries that teach about Jesus Christ and teach English for free, and then we were on our way! 

I am so grateful for the opportunity I have to be a missionary. I am grateful to be in Thailand with these people! I know that the Book of Mormon is true! Read it! 
Alma 7:23 And now I would that ye should be humble, and be submissive and gentle; easy to be entreated; full of patience and long-suffering; being temperate in all things; being diligent in keeping the commandments of God at all times; asking for whatsoever things ye stand in need, both spiritual and temporal; always returning thanks unto God for whatsoever things ye do receive


ฃิสเตอร์ พีเตอร์สัน

No comments:

Post a Comment

My joy is full

Well, this is it. I can't believe that a year and a half has come and gone. This was such a good week though!!  "F...